Image Map

Friday, November 25, 2011

I don't bake (how to make a semi "homemade" apple pie)

Hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving! We went to my parents house where we ate, drank, watched our fave holiday flick (It's a Wonderful Life), ate some more and just relaxed. Little sister is on her honeymoon, so it was a smaller and more chilled Thanksgiving than usual. Good thing though, because last night we picked up our niece and nephew to babysit until Saturday. Then we're helping bestie move on Saturday; so no Black Friday shopping for us. It's cool though, I probably shouldn't spend my money, anyway.

Even though we're married now, the desire to host Thanksgiving hasn't hit me yet. One time, I attempted to roast a chicken and it was uber soggy (I was so irritated at the time because I went out and bought a pricey roasting pan and yet my bird was not crisp; since then I haven't attempted any poultry roasting, LOL), so I leave the turkey to my momma. I'm cool with it (so is she). But the one thing I am always in charge of is the pie. Ya'll, I do love to cook, but baking is just not.my.thang. I am not patient when it comes baked goods. Plus if you go over/under on a particular ingredient, you can ruin the whole dish. Ugh, no thanks.

But my dad and I used to make the pies together years ago. And so a tradition was born (oddly enough, I was reminiscing with dad yesterday about this and he didn't remember. Gee, thanks daddio).

If you're not a baker, I will say that pie making is actually v.e.r.y. easy to do! I have to be honest and say I haven't actually made a homemade crust in about four years (no counter space and no stand mixer ::hint hint:: familia). But the filling is be-yond easy.

How to make an apple pie (semi homemade):

What you need
•3/4 cup light brown sugar
•1/4 cup all-purpose flour
•3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
•Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
•7 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
•1 lemon, zested and juiced
•3 tablespoons butter, diced
•Egg wash, for brushing (scrambled egg and water)
•Sugar, for sprinkling
•1 pkg pie crust (follow thawing directions; may need to do this before pie prep)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Peel, core and chop seven apples


I find that a beverage helps the process move along, nicely...








3. Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.

4. In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice of 1 lemon and toss (this keeps the apples from turning brown).

5. Stir in the sugar mixture to evenly coat the apples.







6. Mound the apple and sugar mixture into the pie pan lined with dough. Dot with the cubed butter
Mmmm, butter








7. You can then either cover the filling with an entire pie shell or get fancy and cut into strips and weave a lattice by folding every other strip back onto itself and laying another strip perpendicular. I opted to cover the whole thing.



8. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Trim the overhanging dough and crimp edges                                                                                                         


9. Bake pie for 45 minutes. Let rest 20 minutes before slicing (I made the night before and re-heated)



Enjoy!

P.S. Like my monogrammed gray/yellow/white serving dish? I won that baby from Krystal's through Carolina Clover...love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment