Image Map

Monday, September 17, 2012

Meet Oskar!

Labor Day weekend, Jason and I finally grew our little ol' fur family! We had been wanting to adopt another little fur baby and brother/sister for Gigi for quite some time. Honestly I had been putting it off because now that J is in law school, its all me taking care of these babies. But after being unemployed for four months this year, meant going back to work made me feel extremely guilty to leave her all day alone; before my unemployment I didn't really think much about it...

We went to the Tampa Bay Humane Society the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. We brought G-love with us because obviously it was important that the two dogs would get along before we knew if we could adopt any dog. I wasn't actually expecting us to find our next fur baby the same day, but we did and we are SO happy (and so is Gigi, she lurves her new bro!!)

On the car ride home from the Humane Society...fast friends
Oskar's name was  Stitch when we adopted him but A)he didn't respond to that name and B)it just didn't fit for us...We were told Oskar is about two years old, but he acts like such an old man! We're not actually sure if he's maybe older or not, but a little ol' man name seemed more fitting to us; and so with that Oskar was born! He is a dachshund mix (we think with min pin, like his sister!) and we kinda wanted to stick with a German sounding name. Jason actually wanted to name him Walt at first (some guy on Breaking Bad is named Walt White or something and is German; I don't watch the show so I don't know the whole story there) but since he is part wiener dog, "Oscar" fit and then J and our next door neighbor both said, "Oskar, with a "K"", so there ya go.


Oskar has adjusted quite nicely into our little home! He and Gigi play, wear one another out and she now whines if we walk them separately. In just under two weeks, she has become quite attached to her new brother. The only thing we are having an issue with is Oskar going potty when we're not home. He didn't do it the first week we were at work, but all last week (and this weekend) he has peed in his bed, our hallway, and unfortunately in the water bowl. I don't know if its a behavioral thing or what...I'm looking for any and all suggestions! I know he isn't a puppy puppy, and so I don't know what is up? We have a crate but never needed it for Gigi; I don't know if we should crate him a bit or what we should do (what we do while we are at work, currently is put a baby gate up in a hallway we have to give them more space; its worked quite well before we got Oskar...) Other than that, old man Oskar loves to sleeeeeeeeep and cuddle and lick. He's very sweet and polar opposite of our crazy hyper Gigi girl...Jason has said maybe Oskar wasn't the perfect fit for Gigi and us but we are the perfect fit for him <3 I think he is so happy with us and that in turn warms my heart...we love this little guy and he has already brought us such joy!
attached



10 comments:

  1. Oskar is adorable, congrats on your new fur-baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how he sits with his little paws turned out! So cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a cutie! Congrats on your new addition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. I love that u got him at a humane society!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard that the transition can be hard for pups, and they take it out by going potty in the house. Not sure if it's true though. Hopefully it's just a phase. So happy you were able to get him- welcome home Oskar (with a k!)! By the way, I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww...they are already BFFs! Its puppy love! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you found Oskar at the Human Society because there are so many doggies there that need a home!!

    Oskar is soo cute! It's great that both of your doggies are BFFs:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so stinkin' adorable! I'm happy you adopted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oskar and Gigi make an adorable pair! I'm so glad the Humane Society worked out for you guys. Getting my dog from there was the best decision I ever made. Congratulations on your new family member!

    ReplyDelete