Image Map

Monday, October 17, 2011

Anatomy of a First Aid Kit


This past Friday after an ah-mazing date night with Jason, we decided to take Gigi for a long walk. I’ve said before that Jason usually takes Gigi-opolous (I make up the most random names for her…some days I pretend she is Greek, apparently) for her nightly walks but since we had such a good night, I went too. Big mistake. I decided at 10:30pm it would be "fun" to run with our dog (I was bone sober in case anyone had any doubts, thanks). I ran ahead of Jason and Geeg with wedge-like flip flops and my beloved blackberry in hand. Gigi ran after me and I laughed the whole way (side note: happy there were no neighbors around or for sure they would have thought me to be in-sane). Laughed that is, until my very un-coordinated ass tripped on a tree limb that was growing in the ground and fell. I literally face palmed and scraped my hands, elbows, knees and my big toe (and my BB was thrown in the process; that thing has been through it all. Not sure how it still works). I won’t go into details but I was in a lot of pain and über embarrassed. I hobbled back to our apartment with hubs and Gigi in tow. My poor toe was bleeding everywhere and I seriously thought I was going to need stitches (turns out I just ripped an entire layer of skin. Seriously friggin’ hurt). I had to bandage myself up (I couldn’t let hubs do it. I was embarrassed and also knew it would hurt way more to have someone else tend to my wounds than if I did it myself. So I put him in charge of making me strong drinks to numb the pain).

I like to be prepared for most situations in our life, but I have to admit we did not have a proper first aid kit, since ::knock on wood:: neither of us get hurt a whole lot. Though, we changed that on Saturday, and never again will I be without the necessary reinforcement’s for such an occasion (though I am hoping we don’t need to use it too much?). I assume we can’t be the only ones out there who weren’t prepared and didn’t have a lot of supplies in our kit (well, we didn’t even have a kit, but we do now. Thankyouverymuch)
and so,  I give you all the Anatomy of a First Aid Kit :

  • 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
  • 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
  • 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
  • 5 antiseptic wipe packets
  • 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
  • 1 instant cold compress
  • 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)
  • 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
  • Scissors (this one never even occurred to me, but these would helped immensely!)
  • 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
  • 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
  • 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
  • 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
  • Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
  • 2 triangular bandages
  • Tweezers
We just bought a big Tupperware-like container to store everything in, though I would love to organize our kit like this beauty, here:


Thanks to my self inflicted wounds, I have been forced to wear sneakers and closed toe shoes and socks this whole weekend. Ick. I hate sneakers, so just add that annoyance to the fact that I am hobbling like a hobbit and well, you can imagine how much fun I have been this weekend.

So, lovelies how was your weekend? I am sure hoping better than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment